Franklin Lanes opened on March 28, 1942. Since World War II had commenced, the owners of Franklin Lanes had to receive special permission from the government to finish construction. It cost $135,000 to build. Since construction had already started before the war, permission was granted. Original owners lived in Chicago: Gabriel and Tony Augustino, Louis Petronio, and Orazio Richhuito.

There were no automatic pinsetters at the time. Instead, pinboys would pick up the pins and return the bowling balls.